Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Testing and xCode

Java developers are spoiled.

I was a late comer to the testing band wagon. I'm not a test nazi by any stretch but there is a certain amount of confidence that testing gives you.

I miss that when I'm coding in Objective-C.

I was so happy today when I found out today that xCode has built in support for unit testing. But it sucks horribly. Granted much of my problem may be that I have not fully grokked the underpinnings of this environment. But I have spent all day and most of the night trying to figure it out and this is the extent of what I have figured out.

Unit tests that exercise simple parts of the application (non-framework/Cocoa stuff) can be tested after a build is performed. However:

  • Debugging is not an option
  • Capturing output from sysout is not an option
  • Decent reports don't seem to be available
  • Decent error reporting doesn't seem to be available

It's hard to believe that unit testing is so far behind on this platform. Java developers don't know how good they have it.


No comments: