Sunday, October 11, 2009

Been a while...

So it's been a while since I last posted a blog entry.  A whole lot of things have been going on.  First of all I finished my entry to the Android Developer Challenge 2 it is a game called Dungeon Trainer

Dungeon Trainer is a simple RPG game that lets you create and train characters by battling other characters.  Once your character is created you can upload them to share with players around the world.  You level up, buy weapons and armor and then battle (train).  It is a simple game for a couple of reasons

  1. The time constraint of the challenge was very tight I started designing on June 16th and had to develop it all from concept to final product by Austst 28th.  Ruffly 2.5 months.
  2. Mobile games should be simple.  Having a game like Baler's Gate or Diablo on your phone would be cool but it would be hard to pick up and put down quickly.  Or casually play in a meeting that you were bored at.
  3. It was the first game I ever wrote so I wanted to start simple and build on it.

As of October 6th the first round of judging is complete.  I haven't heard any results yet, I'll let you know when the winners are announced though.

I'm also working on another iPhone app.  This one is pretty cool and much simpler than the LifeAware iPhone app.  I can't say much about it except that I am still doing iPhone stuff.

It is kind of a cool contrast between the 2 platforms though(android an iPhone).  My day job is Java so the Android platform was a super easy transition.  The iPhone was not easy in any way, even still I kind of enjoy developing for it.  It kind of reminds me of VB in a way although you have all the power of C to hang yourself...

I'll put some little code snippets of the iPhone out. I"m sure if I have struggled with these parts other people have as well. 

Until then ciao'.

-Aaron

No comments: