Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Spring Web Services

First of all let me start by saying I love the Spring Framework.  It makes my job a ton easier - things just work better when you use Spring.  One of the things I love about it the most is that when you download it you have the option to download all of the dependencies which is a very extensive list of libraries that cover just about everything (Aspects, Hibernate, Toplink, Axis, Velocity, 62MB of 3rd party libraries) it is very convenient.

However the Spring WebServices Framework opted to use Maven to manage their dependencies if you were to download maven and try to build it you might get an error that looks like this:

mvnError

I don't really care why, and I don't want to learn Maven right now - I'm sure I will eventually right now I just want it to work - and I need a list of required Jars for my web services to work.....

 

Not a very good experience - if I was not an experienced developer I would probably give up and use something else...

1 comment:

Arjen Poutsma said...

Hi Aaron,

You'll be happy to know that the next release of Spring-WS (1.5) will include a with-dependencies zip distribution, which - obviously - includes all dependencies. This will hopefully get rid of errors like these.

Cheers,

Arjen Poutsma
Spring-WS Lead